logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Layout package
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2013 07:40:32 GMT
Yeah. That is what package-info.java is for isn't it?  Today we are pretty terse.

Ralph

On Aug 17, 2013, at 12:21 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Well then, I suppose we could move things like Configurator and Configuration to the
core package and then move all the sub packages under "internal", but that just seems like
a lot of busy work when we could just as easily declare in a read me that everything in any
sub package is internal.

> Fair enough, some package level Javadoc should help there.
>
> Gary
>

> On Aug 16, 2013, at 11:51 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> The way I've seen this done in Java is to use a package called ".spi", the Service
Provider Interface package. Internal stuff is in ".internal" packages (which Eclipse uses
a lot). When you import something from a ".internal" package, you know you're not on solid
ground. I've also seen ".impl" packages, which IMO is not a good name. I've never seen a .private.
package though.

>> Gary
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> I guess what you are after is a way to make clear what are the interfaces and classes
developers can use when creating their own components.  I originally planned on those being
in the main core package but I clearly didn't include everything that could be there.  Unfortunately,
this is one of the things Java isn't particularly good at.  I don't know of a good way to
indicate what is internal vs OK to use other than comments.

>> Ralph
>>
>> On Aug 16, 2013, at 11:37 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
wrote:
>>> Yeah. StrLookup should be moved up to core.
>>>
>>> I tried it and feels arbitrary when I look at all the subpackages and wonder
which of all the other interfaces should also be moved up.

>>> If we had a specific .spi package it might be better, but that does not really
make sense in the Core module, right?