logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: Layouts, headers, footers, and separators
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:21:21 GMT
Now I'm re-thinking my "seems reasonable." Lol.

Nick

On Aug 16, 2013, at 5:13 PM, Remko Popma wrote:

> I'm not sure. What would the code look like if we introduce this subinterface? Do we
pass Layout to Appenders or PagedLayouts? Would we need to check with instanceof? This does
introduce complexity.

> Paying the cost of complexity would be fine if we get some benefit in return, but what
would that benefit be in this case?

> The current protocol for layouts that are not paged is to return null headers and footers.
This is handled by the AbstractLayout class that is the superclass of all Layout implementations.

> How is PagedLayout going to improve this? IMO it should bring substantial benefit for
the additional complexity it will bring...