logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject r1501104
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 23:41:35 GMT
Gary,

Earlier today you committed r1501104 with the following comment:

> Add final modifier to private fields.
> Add final modifier to method parameters.
> Add final modifier to local variables.

I've seen you do similar things before, too. Can you explain a little bit why you do this?
There's certainly no compiler value--the compiler for a long time has been capable of determining
whether a variable is ever changed and optimizing appropriately. All it seems to do to me
is clutter the code...significantly. It makes the code harder to read, IMO.

Can you justify the intentional mass change of this nature?

Thanks,

Nick