logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <rem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fast file problem with XML layouts
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 23:41:46 GMT
Gary,

I'll look at the test (but have to leave for work now).

About the name, yes, let's change it.
The main differences with the existing FileAppenders are
- the Fast versions are always buffered
- the Fast versions use a RandomAccessFile instead of a Stream, which was quite a bit faster
in my testing
(If you're interested, I got there because of this article:
http://mechanical-sympathy.blogspot.jp/2011/12/java-sequential-io-performance.html )

Suggestions for better names:
- RandomAccessFileAppender
- RAFileAppender

Other suggestions welcome...

-Remko

________________________________
 From: Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
To: Log4J Developers List <log4j-dev@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:10 AM
Subject: Fast file problem with XML layouts

Hi All:

I created and @Ignored this failing test for a FastFileAppender with a 'complete' (aka well-formed)
XML layout:

org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.FastXmlFileAppenderTest

which is a duplicate of the normal file test I also just created:

org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.XmlFileAppenderTest

Is this a bug or did I misconfigure the test?

Also, more Javadoc on FastFileAppender would help.

Can we change "Fast" to something more meaningful and descriptive? No Javadoc, no idea, but
I did see a thread I think... is this an AsyncFileAppender? How is it different than wrapping
a file appender with an AsyncApppender? Filtering? What else?

Thank you,
Gary

JUnit in Action, Second Edition
Spring Batch in Action