logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: We have to stop using Reflection#getCallerClass(int)
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 07:10:20 GMT
This won't break Log4j 1.x as it doesn't implement the features that use this.  However, I'm
pretty sure it will also break Logback.

Ralph

On Jun 25, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Nick Williams wrote:

> As some of you may know, sun.reflect.Reflection#getCallerClass(int) was removed in Java
8 (it was replaced with no-arg Reflection#getCallerClass(), which uses non-public @CallerSensitive).
This resulted in LOG4J2-245 [1] (EmptyStackException on Java 8), which was resolved with using
a backup option (SecurityManager#getClassContext()) in the hopes that a replacement would
be found. I have been actively involved in discussions on the Java 8 Core Libraries mailing
list to replace this behavior with a public API in Java 8 [2,3].

> It has now come to my attention that the changes to Reflection#getCallerClass(...) have
been back-ported to Java 7 now [4,5] (effective 1.7.0_25, released in the last week or so).
Since it's a non-public API, they're free to do this any time they want, but it will cause
a nightmare for Log4j users using 1.7.0_25 and higher. Here are the exact changes that were
made:

> 1) Added no-arg Reflection#getCallerClass() that uses back-ported @CollerSensitive.
> 2) Left Reflection#getCallerClass(int) in place, but it now THROWS an UnsupportedOperationException
(which is even worse ... the fix for LOG4J2-245 won't pick this up and make it work for 1.7.0_25+
users).
> 3) In Java 7 _only_ (won't work for Java 8) users can specify jdk.reflect.allowGetCallerClass
system property to enable Reflection#getCallerClass(int). I submit this will not be an option
our users are willing to accept, but it is a temporary workaround.

> Here's hoping they add a public API in Java 8 to make what we're using this for easier
(I'm pushing as hard as I can), but it looks like Java 7 is broke for good. We should probably
add in a check so that getCallerClass is not used unless Java major version is 6.