logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject OSGi
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 18:57:11 GMT
I created LOG4J2-10 as one of the first requirements I had for Log4j 2.  OSGi support is very
important in some environments. In fact, it is an area that I have wanted to explore in my
own operational environment.  As part of a side project at work I found a product called Paremus
Service Fabric [1] which is essentially an OSGi service container.  In discussing the product
with the folks at Paremus I mentioned my desire to have better OSGi support in Log4j 2 and
asked them if they could help since it at that time (and I think it is still true) we had
very little OSGi expertise on the Log4j 2 team.  They told me they would see what they could
do.  Well recently Tim Ward has started taking a look at what we are doing.  Tim works for
Paremus and has been recently working with the Hibernate team to help them achieve similar
goals.  Tim is also a committer and PMC member on Apache Aries and is the co-author of Enterprise
OSGi in Action.

I wanted to give Tim this introduction so that you will understand that I asked for his help
and am grateful that he has taken the time to lend us a hand.  As such I plan to look at the
patches he provides from the perspective of what would be best for our OSGi users.  At the
same time we also need to not lose focus on what is best for our non-OSGi users. This may
make the build and release more complicated but I really think we need to make sure the needs
of both of these user sets are being met.

Ralph

[1] http://www.paremus.com