logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: Appender close() vs stop()
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:39:43 GMT
Okay. Understood. Should I file a bug for someone to take care of that, or will someone just
take care of that?

Note that an inner class within a *Test class @Overrides the close method but doesn't do anything
within it and doesn't call it. A simple find usages will reveal it.

Nick

On Apr 27, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> I think it would be clearer to remove close in a district commit.
>
> Gary
>
> On Apr 27, 2013, at 10:12, Nick Williams <nicholas@nicholaswilliams.net> wrote:
>
>> Ok. I'll remove it in my work on the database appenders.
>>
>> On Apr 27, 2013, at 8:56 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like I originally intended to use close but used stop instead.  If close
isn't being used then it can be removed.

>>> Sent from my iPad

is in Appender#start() and, likewise, the best place to "disconnect" is in Appender#stop().
However, then I noticed that AbstractAppender defines a close() method with the JavaDoc comment
"Close the stream associated with the Appender." This could be read "Close the database connection
associated with the Appender."

close()? The AbstractOutputStreamAppender closes the stream in stop() (which is what I originally
expected) and never overrides close(). Since close() is not part of the Appender or Lifecycle
interface, will it ever even be called? It's not called in the default start() implementation,
and it's not overridden in any implementations.

explaining the difference between the two, or simply removing close() (makes more sense to
me).