logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: improving the manual pages
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:54:00 GMT
Yes. But I was thinking there might be a section heading somewhere called Location Information
that specifically identifies each of the location patterns and discusses the overhead of each.
This is one area where I miss the C preprocessor as the location stuff could have been hidden
in a macro so it could be passed along at compile time.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2013, at 2:52 AM, Remko Popma <remkop@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok, then to summarize my understanding for LOG4J2-219 the solution would be to:
> * internally create a root logger if one isn't explicitly configured (like in beta5)
> * this default root logger would have level ERROR  (like in beta5)
> * this default root logger would not have any appenders configured  (different from beta5)
> * named loggers in the config are picked up correctly and not ignored  (different from
beta5)

> Does that match what you had in mind?
>
> About location, I was thinking that the majority of sample configs would be without location
and a few would keep location layouts. For those we'd put a comment in the config XML as well
as in the accompanying text that explains the performance impact. Does that sound ok?

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2013/04/27, at 15:09, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>> It occurs to me that given the way Log4j and Logback work they probably always have
a root logger that starts out not configured with an appender. I guess it would make sense
for us to do the same.  I do think it makes sense to emit a warning when no root logger is
specified.

>> I agree with your points about the use of location in the examples. It would probably
make sense though to have a section that does have examples that clearly calls out the overhead
of using them.

>> Ralph
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:04 PM, Remko Popma wrote:
>>
>>> On the log4j user mailing list I encountered a user who had made a few wrong
turns, config-wise, and had trouble getting back on track.

>>> One issue was that by default the File appender is buffered but does not flush.
>>> So his log file stayed empty and he had trouble figuring out why.
>>>
>>> Should we change the examples a little?
>>> * use bufferedIO=false in all File appender examples?
>>> * add a comment that the root logger is mandatory (LOG4J2-219)
>>>
>>> Also I would like to propose (and opinions may differ on this one)
>>> to avoid using layouts that use location in the examples,
>>> unless the example is used to explain how location works.
>>> (E.g., the API > Flow Tracing page would need location layout examples.)
>>>
>>> Currently most examples use %C and %M and I would greatly prefer that the examples
use %c and other layouts that do not include location.

>>> I believe that many people will start using Log4j by copying an example and only
read the manual when they get stuck.
>>> I would hate to give first-time users the impression that Log4j is slow and have
our own example configs to blame... :-)

>>> On the same topic, in the layouts page I would like to add remarks describing
performance impact to the attributes that include location.