logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <rem...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Maven Group Ids
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:02:22 GMT
No reason not to have both...

________________________________
 From: Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
To: Log4J Developers List <log4j-dev@logging.apache.org>; Remko Popma <remkop@yahoo.com>

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:00 AM
Subject: Re: Maven Group Ids

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Remko Popma <remkop@yahoo.com> wrote:

True, but if the exception is clear users will be able to fix the issue themselves without
needing to read the docs...

For people like me who do read docs, it avoid getting the problem in the first place ;)

Gary

>How about adding this constructor to org.apache.logging.slf4j.SLF4JLoggerContext:
>
>    public SLF4JLoggerContext() {
>        // LOG4J2-204 (improve error reporting when misconfigured)
>        try {
>            Class.forName("org.slf4j.helpers.Log4JLoggerFactory");
>            throw new IllegalStateException("slf4j-impl jar is mutually exclusive
with log4j-to-slf4j jar " +
>            	 "(the first routes calls from SLF4J to Log4j, the second from
Log4j to SLF4J)");
>        } catch (Throwable classNotFoundIsGood) {
>        }
>    }
>

>________________________________

or log4j-to-slf4j when it detects that the other jar is on the classpath?
>>>I just proposed a way to do that in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-204
>>>

>>>________________________________

and cannot both be used (for example, log4j-slf4j-impl and log4j-to-slf4j)? Because that would
be convenient...

>>>Nick
>>>

>>>On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>>
>>>Well, I originally had them all in one groupId but it was suggested that they
be split to distinguish core functionality from the extra stuff. That did and still does make
sense to me, although using the groupId may not be the best way to distinguish it.  It might
be done simply through a better web site design.  We have had a couple of users now include
all the jars in their project.  The different groupIds hasn't stopped that.  To be honest,
I'm not really sure what would.

but we really need to lock that down as we can't be doing that after 2.0 GA is released.

of jars, but multiple group ids?