logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Re: Log4j 2 Taglib
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 02:12:21 GMT

On Mar 25, 2013, at 9:09 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Nick Williams <nicholas@nicholaswilliams.net>
wrote:
> I've put it in groupId org.apache.logging.log4j for now. It will be easy to change the
groupId later if needed.

> Also, my Java package is org.apache.logging.log4j.taglib, in line with other artifacts
I've seen within the project. Let me know if this should be different.

> Finally, a general question. I'm wondering why log4j-web (and, by extension for consistency,
log4j-taglib) is compiled against Servlet 2.4 (J2EE 4, and so JSP 2.0)? This seems like maybe
not the best choice:
> - This was released in November 2003 ... almost 10 years ago.
> - There are no supported versions of Tomcat or GlassFish that don't implement at least
Servlet 2.5/Java EE 5.
> - WebSphere 6.1, the last version to only support J2EE 4, goes end-of-life this coming
September.
> - WebLogic 9 EXTENDED support ends this coming November. Regular support ended 16 months
ago. And WebLogic 10 provides no backward-support for J2EE 4. It's Java EE 5 only.

> Java EE 5 (Servlet 2.5, JSP 2.1) came out 8 years ago (a year after Java 5 and a year
before Java 6), Java EE 6 (Servlet 3.0, JSP 2.2) 3 1/2 years ago, and Java EE 7 (Servlet 3.1,
JSP 2.3) next month. It seems logical and reasonable to me that we wouldn't support anything
older than Servlet 2.5 (Java EE 5). Also, JSP 2.1 (Java EE 5) has some improvements on the
JSP tag library API that would be helpful to have.

> Therefore, I propose the Servlet dependency for log4j-web and log4j-taglib be Servlet
2.5 (Java EE 5), and that the JSP dependency for log4j-taglib be JSP 2.1 (Java EE 5).

> Thoughts?
>
> +1
>
> We could depend on Java 6 or 7 and it would be fine with me. All my work projects are
on 6 and home on 6 and 7.

> Gary

I'm bleeding edge :-) (mostly because I'm writing a book). Everything I do now is Java SE
8 and Java EE 7.

Nick

> Nick
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
> > Yeah, we may want to create another name at the same level as adapters and move
web there too.

> > Ralph
> >
> > On Mar 25, 2013, at 3:04 PM, Nick Williams wrote:
> >
> >> Should this new artifact be a member of groupId org.apache.logging.log4j or
org.apache.logging.log4j.adapters? log4j-web is in adapters (not sure that makes sense, but
it is). log4j-tablib isn't really an adapter ... it's closer to an extension of the API to
support JSP tags. That says to me "org.apache.logging.log4j." But it's up to y'all.

> >> Nick

projects correctly. I could certainly be confused about something.

extension, is a new artifact under the same groupId org.apache.logging.log4j). I do not mean
a separate project (new groupId), no.

to make sure nobody had a convincing reason that it should be part of the log4j-web artifact/module
before I started writing.

then no. But definitely a new Maven artifact.

community should answer: What should its Maven artifact and module names be? I'm thinking
"log4j-taglib" and "Log4j Tag Library".

log4j-web module instead of making it its own module. I could certainly understand going that
route. On the one hand, fewer modules can sometimes be less confusing. On the other hand,
for some users (like me) they'll need the functionality of the log4j-taglib module but not
the log4j-web module, or vice versa. I don't necessarily like the idea of putting this in
log4j-web, but it might be a discussion worth having. Thoughts?

License, so there won't be a problem there. Jakarta is an ASF project (and it's retired) so
I don't believe I'll need permission there. I'll get on the SLF4J dev list and inquire for
permission. SLF4J says it's based on Jakarta Log Taglib. Don't know if that makes a difference.

would be a great addition.  Since we are still using subversion I'm afraid the only way to
do this is for you to create a patch and attach it to a Jira.  Remko has recently done the
same. I'd encourage you to create a separate maven subproject and then you could just attach
a zip of it.

under the Apache License. You cannot copy code that is under an incompatible license.  2)
All code contributions must be voluntary - you cannot contribute code that someone else wrote
without their permission.  As a general rule you can copy code from other ASF projects but
you would need to get permission from projects hosted elsewhere.

(Underwriters' Laboratories) and an active member of the Open Source community. I've contributed
to the Tomcat Project (most recently quite a bit, I've helped with the WebSockets implementation
in Tomcat [1], though only has a contributor, not a committer) and worked on various other
projects. Currently, I'm working on an improvement on Spring Security's Session Fixation Protection
[2] and a new FasterXML (Mapping Jackson) module to support JSR310 (Java 8 Date & Time
API) data types. I'm also author of the upcoming Wrox book Professional Java for Web Applications
[3, the first public listing of the book I've seen online yet]. Now, with that said...

[4], but that project was retired years ago. SLF4J has a tag library sub-project [5], but
it (obviously) uses the SLF4J API. It would be nice if the new Log4j 2 project had a tag library
available when it releases (hopefully) later this year.

and a TLD are all that are needed. Jakarta Log Taglib and SLF4J Taglib (both Apache 2.0) have
already done much of the hard work for us. I would be more than happy to spearhead the development
effort to get this done. So, questions:

it would be a great addition to the project.
for Tomcat, but that could be very challenging for an entire module of the project (as small
as that module might be). Still, it's doable.
In all my years working in Open Source, I've never actually ported/forked code like this.
What are the "best practices," so not as to "steal" or offend?