logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>
Subject Log4j 2 Taglib
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 03:54:54 GMT
First, and introduction, since I'm new to this list:

My name is Nick Williams, I'm a Software Engineer with UL (Underwriters' Laboratories) and
an active member of the Open Source community. I've contributed to the Tomcat Project (most
recently quite a bit, I've helped with the WebSockets implementation in Tomcat [1], though
only has a contributor, not a committer) and worked on various other projects. Currently,
I'm working on an improvement on Spring Security's Session Fixation Protection [2] and a new
FasterXML (Mapping Jackson) module to support JSR310 (Java 8 Date & Time API) data types.
I'm also author of the upcoming Wrox book Professional Java for Web Applications [3, the first
public listing of the book I've seen online yet]. Now, with that said...

The Jakarta Taglibs project used to have a logging tag library [4], but that project was retired
years ago. SLF4J has a tag library sub-project [5], but it (obviously) uses the SLF4J API.
It would be nice if the new Log4j 2 project had a tag library available when it releases (hopefully)
later this year.

The tag library is a very simple module. Eight or nine classes and a TLD are all that are
needed. Jakarta Log Taglib and SLF4J Taglib (both Apache 2.0) have already done much of the
hard work for us. I would be more than happy to spearhead the development effort to get this
done. So, questions:

1) Is there interest in having this Log4j 2 module? I think it would be a great addition to
the project.
2) What steps do I need to take? I'm used to submitted patches for Tomcat, but that could
be very challenging for an entire module of the project (as small as that module might be).
Still, it's doable.
3) I see no reason not to re-use viable code in Jakarta/SLF4J. In all my years working in
Open Source, I've never actually ported/forked code like this. What are the "best practices,"
so not as to "steal" or offend?

Thoughts?

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
[2] https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SEC-2135