logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Yet another custom log levels posting
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:12:14 GMT
This needs to be an FAQ.

Log levels are defined as enums. Unfortunately, Java enums cannot be extended.

In addition, at the moment the API only allows you to call methods like debug, error, etc.
Although we might add log methods that accept a level, we will never add methods with names
of levels that don't exist. This means if you create your own custom levels then your users
will either need a custom API or have to use the log method, assuming it is added. At the
moment they would have no way to use the custom level.

FWIW, if you can justify why an additional log level should be added that would certainly
be considered.

Ralph

On Mar 22, 2013, at 3:24 AM, Jacob Dall wrote:

> Dear "Log4j 2" developers.
>
> From all the postings on the internet concerning custom log levels with "Log4j 2" it
is obvious that this shall be accomplished by using the Markers feature.

> Unfortunately this only solves half of the problem, because this does not make it possible
to set the log level on a logger to one besides the predefined ones.

> So if one, for instance, defines a custom level NOTICE to be located between INFO and
WARN, one can log an event with level NOTICE, but cannot set a logger to only log NOTICE and
above - one has to set the level to INFO to capture NOTICE level messages, which does the
trick, but is not exactly right.

> I like the new features in "Log4j 2", but in this particular area I believe it has missed
the train.

> Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me on the reasoning behind making it impossible
for programmers to extend the log levels like it was possible in "Log4j 1"?