logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Java compiler version
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:26:49 GMT

All "-source 1.6" does above and beyond 1.5 is allow for using  "@Override" on
overridden interface methods, which is nice but not  critical; certainly no
reason to switch to Java 6.

What you actually seem to be proposing to use "-target 1.6" because you wish
to bind to 1.6+ API.  This will both prevent compilation with any JDK less
than 1.6 and allow for creating 1.6 compatible binaries under later JDKs.

If there is API in 1.6 that we simply can't live without to produce a quality
logging implementation, then go for it, since 1.5 is pretty outdated.  But if
it's just minor stuff that could be worked around using existing 1.5 API,
there are plenty of users stuck with JDK 1.5 that will be left out of using
Log4j2 for no good reason.

In any case, the bug is primarily in our release process rather than code.  It
is due to the fact that we are generating official release artifacts using a
JDK (6 or 7) later than the specified target JDK (5).  While javac
source/target allows for a flexible build system by not forcing everyday users
to install an older JDK in order to generate artifacts compatible with
documented target JDK, project release managers should *****always***** use
the documented target JDK to generate official release artifacts to avoid
accidentally introducing bindings to API that exists in later JDKs, but not
the documented target JDK that the project claims to be compatible with.  Had
this been done, this issue would have been caught long before any official
release.

So, decide on a JDK to target and then actually use that JDK to generate
official release artifacts, rather than some arbitrary later one, and we'll
never run into this issue again.

Jake