logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:35:14 GMT

On Jan 2, 2013, at 4:50 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2013, at 14:37, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>> I took me longer than I wanted but I have finally fixed all the issues I wanted to
complete before doing the 2.0-beta4 release.  Please let me know if you are aware of something
else that needs to be done before the release.

>> A larger question is whether the subsequent release should be beta5 or whether we
are good to go with the 2.0 GA release.

> For beta 5, I'd like to add a JDBC appender. We use one at work for
> certain set ups. Alternatively, can flume to set up to log to a
> database?

Flume is basically an event bus.  If you have a setup with web, application and data tiers
and you don't want your web tier to have a jdbc connection to the data tier then you could
use Flume to send the events to the application tier to be written.  Flume also acts as an
aggregator so that if you have 10 instances they can all write to Flume where you then only
have a single connection to the data repository.

I'm not a huge fan of using a relational database as the repository for logging events but
if a DBAppender is needed then lets add it.

Ralph