logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Serious log4j-extras issue
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 22:18:46 GMT
On 12/7/2012 3:42 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> Thank you for letting us know Jess.
>
> We are on the road to release another version (1.2) and we can still
> check about your problems. Is it possible you name me a class which
> would conflict? It is maybe easier for me to check out the problem.
A simple test is to look in the org.apache.log4j package itself.
log4j-extras's Javadoc claims to have 4 classes in this package. The 1.1
jar has *many* more classes, there, including Category, for instance,
which is clearly not acceptable.

Furthermore, log4j 1.2.16 and higher contain all 4 of the classes in the
org.apache.log4j package which log4j-extras 1.1's Javadoc claims (it
makes no mention of the other classes from this package found in its
jar).  These classes were newly introduced to log4j at that 1.2.16, so I
can see that log4j-extras might want to provide those classes for older
versions of log4j or that someone might have "borrowed" these from
log4j-extras into log4j itself.  A similar situation appears to exist
with org.apache.log4j.xml.UnrecognizedElementHandler.  That said, these
still should be no overlap between these jars -- as the overlap will
lead to unexpected bugs in deployments unless these classes never
change.  Perhaps others deemed this as acceptable because they are using
OSGi and the POM doesn't export many of these packages?  If so, not
everyone is using OSGi.
> Also we have already fixed the testing failures (or, lets say one is
> left).
>
> These do happen when you run all tests at once. If you run them one by
> one they should not appear. The problem is testing resources conflict.
> Anyway this should be not longer the case with the new version which
> we hopefully bring out soon.
>
> If you would like, you could even report an issue here, so it isn't
> forgotten.
> https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Log4j&component=Companions&resolution=---&list_id=92428
I was simply attempting to "Build" the Maven project from my IDE
(NetBeans).  NetBeans maps this to the "install" goal by default.

When running in this simple, default, I-know-nothing-about-the-POM mode,
~20 tests failed.

As for filing an issue, at this point I guess I'll just be very, very
careful about moving to 1.2 -- and will be sure to manually gut the jar
file as needed at that point.

--
Jess Holle