logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: SMTPAppender work in progress, questions
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 07:08:29 GMT

On Dec 20, 2012, at 5:02 PM, Scott Severtson wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> Thanks. I knew it was something dumb, I just needed another set of eyes.
>
> As for the manager - it looks like AbstractManager.getManager uses a "name" as a key,
and returns shared instances if the same key is provided. Correct?

Yes, this is correct.

> I'm thinking for SMTPAppender, this may be a good place to hold identically configured
javax.mail.Session instances. Are there any existing appenders which rely on a composite "name"
key, composed of several plugin configuration settings? Just curious where I could look for
examples, as I'll need a unique instance per protocol/host/port/username/password/debug settings.
Otherwise, I'll just concatenate settings with separators of some kind.

There are a few that rely on composite keys. The most complex is the Flume Appender.  The
embedded version takes a pile of properties so it ends up just creating an MD5 out of it all.
 JMSQueueManager does

final String name = "JMSQueue:" + factoryBindingName + '.' + queueBindingName;

> Finally, Dumbster is APL 2.0, so it shouldn't be a concern. I'll build some basic tests
using it.

> I'll see what I can wrap up in the short term, for possible inclusion in beta 4.

Sounds great!

Ralph