logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [v2] "combined" jar name?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 15:02:27 GMT
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Ralph Goers <rgoers@apache.org> wrote:

> OK. The current combined jar only includes API and core and has no
> required dependencies that are different than core. I am imagining that
> many will prefer to use this single jar instead of having to include both
> the API and core jars.  What is your opinion on that and if positive, what
> would you name it?

Let's see, if we have an api + core jar, then that means you can use Log4J
out of the box with the one jar (as you could with -all), maybe
log4j-standalone? Or just log4j?

Should "log4j-core" be "log4j-impl"?

Why is it slf4j-impl and not log4j-slf4j-impl or log4j-slf4j?

Why is it log4j-jcl and not log4j-jcl-impl?

It seems we should have a naming pattern for bridges to other logging
systems, either the name or name-impl.

We could then have:

   - log4j-impl
   - log4j-jcl-impl