logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [v2] No JUL component?
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 23:01:55 GMT
Yes, I've considered it but JUL really kinda sucks.

There are two ways to bridge it that I know of:
1. The way SLF4J does as documented at http://www.slf4j.org/legacy.html#jul-to-slf4j bridge.
This essentially creates a LogHandler that accepts all events and then passes them to the
replacement framework.  This has a fairly significant performance penalty.
2. Replace the LogManager as documented at http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/logging/LogManager.html.
Unfortunately, this requires a System Property be set before logging is initialized.  This
is the option I would most likely pick.

It is unfortunate that this wasn't updated when ServiceLoaders were added to Java.

Ralph