logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Logger and throwables
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:03:40 GMT
Can you look at the context of where you like to write logger.error(Throwable) and see if it
is at all possible to do something with annotations there?  For example, in a catch statement
could you do

catch (@log  UnsupportedOperationException ex)

This kind of use of annotations is something I've thought about and why I created LOG4J2-33.

Ralph

On Sep 24, 2012, at 7:50 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> The issue is closed so I'll comment here.
>
> Over all, my port to 2.0 went well, aside from some 1.2 compat issue I JIRA'd.
>
> Let's make a difference between binary compat and source compat. BC is no problem, calling
error(), info(), and so on with a Throwable is the same as with 1.2.

> For SC, since you are recompiling, IMO, it is OK for a MAJOR release to be different
and print the stack trace.

> It is just so nice to say debug(Throwable) and have the right thing (IMO again) happen.

> Having code say debug(throwable.toString(), throwable) is just... well lame :(
>
> The catching/throwing methods are so horribly named -- despite whatever history of inheriting
genes from other logging frameworks -- that I shiver at the thought of using them. I had to
read the Javadocs /carefully/. No big deal, I'll just ignore them. Then I am immediately wondering
how these goofy APIs fit in with the other nicely named ones, error, warn, and so on. It's
baffling to me. Must be my tired brain and body, I just moved ;)