logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Log4j2 Message Formatting (was Re: [Vote] Log4j 2.0-alpha1 rc1)
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:18:34 GMT

On Jul 16, 2012, at 12:42 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> The Log4j 2 API contains LocalizedMessage. I'm not actually very fond of this class as
it was implemented primarily to provide compatibility with Log4j 1.2.  However, it does provide
some ideas on how proper internationalization and localization could be accomplished.

> There was a discussion on I18n and L10n on the SLF4J list a while ago. As a result of
that Ceki created the cal10n project which is documented at http://www.slf4j.org/localization.html.
 The problem I have with this is that it is localizing the messages as they are being generated.
In my experience localization should happen when the message is being viewed, not when it
is written.  Thus the "message" in the log would consist only of the message key and the variables
would be there (probably as key/value pairs).  In that case the application doing the logging
doesn't have any idea what the actual message text is.

> However, a good Message implementation could handle both cases.
>
> Ok, so the question is: do you see implementing or redoing this class post-2.0 without
breaking BC?

Yes. I'd probably leave the current one alone and then identify some requirements for how
we would really want an internationalized and localized message to work. You might want to
see if there is a Jira issue or create a new one and add your initial thoughts to it.

Ralph