logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release log4j 1.2.17 RC3
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 05:12:46 GMT
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Gary Gregory <ggregory@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> Because I could not get the full build to run on Windows 7 with Maven 2 or
> 3. I feel reluctant to VOTE +1 here. This is a know issue due to the use the
> GNU app Winres. I get bits and pieces of the build to work but nothing like
> the level of confidence I have running Commons builds for different
> components. I can build the site (with the Maven stack trace noted in other
> RC votes), I can run the tests. The changes seems OK, but... as a new
> committer here I need to learn the code some more.
>
> Is the only way to get this to build is to install VirtualBox and a Linux
> distro?

To my knowledge, yes. I did not succeed to run this build under Mac
OSX. With Ubuntu the setup is still time consuming but doable.

> I will note the following nits though:
>
> The build instructions use both version 1.2.16 and 1.2.17 in text and
> examples, see
> "http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4j/1.2/building.html
>
> This is not critical but should be fixed in SVN. I would like to see version
> agnostic instructions or use the latest version (the one being built).

+1
Actually there are some portions missing. For example: what to do with
the release artifacts after a successful vote?
My suggestion is we update this file after we have performed the
complete release cycle.

> I see this warning from M3 and M2:
>
> prepare:
> [available] DEPRECATED - <available> used to override an existing property.
> [available] Build file should not reuse the same property name for different
> values.
>
> Not a showstopper but should be addressed or documented in SVN.

hm didn't see this, but definitely worth to check.

Others: anybody else with some time who can give a +1?

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de