logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From ceki <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: @author tags
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 19:36:09 GMT
On 26.05.2012 19:55, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM, ceki <ceki@qos.ch <mailto:ceki@qos.ch>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 25.05.2012 19 <tel:25.05.2012%2019>:42, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>         Over in Commons-lang we've been following the Apache guideline
>         to avoid
>         @author tags, these grow quickly to long and stale lists. The
>         POM can be
>         used to track who contributes, all in one place. I propose to remove
>         @author tags here as well (1.x has these tags, I am not sure
>         about 2.0).
>

>     This has been proposed several times in the past and rejected each time.
>
> I do not see why we should go against the Apache board's decision:
>
>   - author tags are officially discouraged. these create difficulties in
>    establishing the proper ownership and the protection of our
>    committers. there are other social issues dealing with collaborative
>    development, but the Board is concerned about the legal ramifications
>    around the use of author tags

The board issued a recommendation regarding author tags. It's a
recommendation and not a hard set rule. Although I cannot provide a
reference, I remember Sam Ruby, VP of Legal affairs, expressing regret
about that particular board recommendation.

> from:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-dev/200402.mbox/%3C4039F65E.7020406@atg.com%3E
>
> Furthermore and because I have not worked with Ceki in the past, I cannot
> help but see a conflict of interest with his non-ASF logging projects.

Right. My position has always been the same. I think its immoral to
remove other people's names from source files. This position has nothing
to do with my other logging engagements, in particular because it has
always remained the same.

If you deem that your work on a particular log4j source file warrants
the addition of your name, by all means, add it. If someone from the
outside makes a non-trivial contribution, again, add their name. It's
such a simple courteous thing to do.

Can you explain what is gained by removing author tags?

--
Ceki
http://twitter.com/#!/ceki