logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [log4j2] configuration file names
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:09:25 GMT
See below -

On Apr 28, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just fixed the docs, which said, log4j2 is looking for log4j.xml /
> log4j-test.xml.
> It is actually looking for log4j2.xml and log4j2-test.xml

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for fixing it.

> I couldn't find the code if log4j.json is looked up or log4j2.json.

ConfigurationFactory defines the prefixes, log4j2 and log4j2-test.  Each individual ConfigurationFactory
implementation has a method named getSupportedTypes that returns the file extensions that
ConfigurationFactory handles. In the case of JSONConfigurationFactory it returns .json and
.jsn.  ConfigurationFactory would then determine whether JSONConfigurationFactory should be
used by looking for a configuration file that ends with one of the suffixes.

> Unfortunately the system param to give an alternate file as config file is:
> -Dlog4j.configurationFactory=xyz.xml
>
> If we choose log4j2 as product name, we should rename this to:
> log4j2.configurationFactory
>
> right?

Yes - if we stick with log4j2 then it would make sense to change that.

Ralph