logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Deleting receivers and components 'companions'
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:23:28 GMT
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2011, at 10:34 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:
>
>> Can we drive to a resolution on this issue?  Does this require a vote?  I'd like
to do something to get the receivers and component code and Chainsaw out of purgatory.  I
would prefer to either pull receivers and component in to core (since the dom defines these
objects and it seems to have things parseable by our dtd in core), or alternatively pull it
all in to extras.

>> Scott
>>

> Moving the component and receivers to Chainsaw is low effort and still a desirable approach
in my opinion. Gary Gregory would be able to continue to use XmlSocketReceiver, he would just
need to distribute an officially released Chainsaw.jar instead of a SVN snapshot jars of component
and receivers.

> Moving component and receivers to extras is not a substantial amount of work and would
be my second choice.

> Moving component and receivers to core would be more work given the peculiarities of
the tests. It took a couple of hours just to move the Rewrite appenders and their tests.

Because why exactly? I thought it could be done with svn cp?

Actually I have no preference. I just think we need a pragmatic
approach. We do not the man power to release packages like
extras/receivers/whatever and therefore we need to move that stuff to
a proper location. From what I understood log4j is the better location
b/c the classes are expected there.

Can you explain a bit more in detail why it is more complicated to mv
classes to log4j-core than to chainsaw? I don't see the difference

Christian

> I don't see an immediate need to delete components or receivers from SVN. We still have
log4j 1.3 visible in SVN if anyone wanted to mine it for anything. We can appropriately note
their integration into Chainsaw and drop them as entries in the navigation.

http://www.grobmeier.de