logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Joern Huxhorn <jhuxh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 parameterized msg with throwable
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:56:05 GMT

On 19.09.2011, at 01:29, Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I was confused and mixed something up...
>>
>> I *planned* to implement a thread-specific sequence number but never did so. I also
considered logging the ThreadGroup-hierarchy but didn't do so, yet, because of the expected
performance impact.

>> Which reminds me, completely off-topic, of another idea concerning a custom Message
implementation:
>> A ThreadDumpMessage that would not get any parameter at all and would consist of
a ThreadDump if it is actually logged, including the ThreadGroup info etc..
>> This would have helped me immensely in the past. Instead, I had to trigger thread
dumps via SIG_QUIT at a random points of execution.

>> Such a Message wouldn't be used in production under normal circumstances but could
be enabled in case of strange concurrency issues...

> I added it, but as I said, I wish I knew how to include the locks.
>
> FWIW, I could have used this 2 days ago when we were trying to debug just such a concurrency
issue.

I think http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/management/ThreadMXBean.html
could be what you are looking for.
Haven't given it a try, yet.