logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 parameterized msg with throwable
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:42:43 GMT

On Sep 17, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Joern Huxhorn wrote:

> On 17.09.2011, at 21:26, Ralph Goers wrote:

 Is this primarily for appenders?

>>> SocketAppender is using serialization. Since I'm the author of Lilith ( http://lilith.huxhorn.de/
) I tend to focus on stuff like that.

>> Actually, in Log4j 2.0 SocketAppender uses a Layout. The default Layout is SerializedLayout.
If you want to use a LillithLayout you would be free to do so.

>>> This is also the reason for the differentiation between the Message instance
and the (laziliy) formatted  message string. A SocketAppender does not have any need for a
formatted message. It is perfectly valid to skip the formatting entirely and simply transmit
the message pattern and the message parameters (as Strings) to safe some CPU in the logged
application.

>> I disagree. The SocketAppender should be able to interact with something that accepts
Thrift, Avro, Hession or other serialization protocols or even the RFC 5424 format.  However,
in cases where the event is serialized into a format where the LogEvent will be recreated
on the other side of the socket connection, I agree that formatting the message on the sender's
side is not required.

> Your SocketAppender is obviously much improved compared to the Logback one. Having the
actual serialization mechanism pluggable is a very good idea.
> Nevertheless, I assume that simple serialization would be the "reference implementation".
I'd, of course, hook in my protobuf implementation...

If you provide a ProtobufLayout I'd happily include it - although I'd make the protobuf artifacts
optional dependencies as I did for Flume.

Ralph