logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Deboy <scott.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4J Future Releases Question
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:04:38 GMT
The log4j 1.2 line will continue to be maintained.

Some work has gone into designing Log4j 2, but it is still in the early
stages.

I'm not very familiar with the logback library, but each logging library has
pros and cons relative to log4j.

One of the main differences between log4j some some of the other libraries
is that many logging libraries take a String argument in the logging
methods, while log4j takes an Object.  In some scenarios, passing in a
custom Object to logging methods allows custom filters, appenders and
renderers to do some things that would be difficult with strings.

There is also the RepositorySelector feature available with log4j.  I'm not
sure if other frameworks have something similar.

There was an attempt a long time ago to consolidate the API used by log4j
and the logback library, but the Object/String issue seemed to prevent
consensus.

Scott