logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r943816 [1/9] - in /logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers: ./ log4j12-api/ log4j12-api/src/ log4j12-api/src/main/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/apache/ log4j12-
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 06:32:01 GMT
In looking at the template again I really don't see how it applies. The section under copyright
has "Identify name recorded for software grant: the name of the grant as record in the grants.txt
document so that the grant can be easily identified".  There is no software grant for this
as it is covered under my ICLA.

Ralph

On May 17, 2010, at 7:06 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> On May 17, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>

>>> I haven't dug into it, but I think the submission may require IP clearance through
the incubator (http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html).  The sentence would appear
to apply:

mailing lists must be processed like this, even if the external developer is already an ASF
committer.

>> And the paragraph above that says "From time to time, an external codebase is brought
into the ASF that is not a separate incubating project but still represents a substantial
contribution that was not developed within the ASF's source control system and on our public
mailing lists."

>> All code developed at the ASF is developed off-list and then committed so by the
logic of using only the message you quoted almost all code would have to go through the incubator
unless the code was sent to the mailing list first. Obviously, that makes no sense. Taking
that one sentence by itself would imply that when a new Appender is written and committed
to Jira that it would need to go through the incubator as well.

>> I've looked at the template. It is appears to be for code that "lived" outside of
the ASF for some time, either as a separate project or was somehow visible to other people
before being contributed.  The code in question is not an "external codebase" because it was
developed solely for the purpose of being committed to Log4j for experimentation and discussion.
 Whether it makes it into something that is ever released is for the community to determine.

>> Ralph
>>

> My take is that there is a poorly defined threshold of off-list-ness at which IP clearance
is warranted like there is a threshold at which an ICLA is warranted.  An ICLA is always desirable
but there is a threshold which the implied grant in the ASL lets you sleep at night.  Can
bounce it off incubator@ to get a clarification of when it comes into play, but I don't think
it is clear that it does not need one.