logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 sandbox
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 14:46:47 GMT
I plan to keep on editing my version based on feedback. I suspect Curt is planning on doing
the same.  I think the hope is that by having alternative code bases that work that they will
a) naturally converge on a common set of ideas or b) contributors will weigh in on which codebase
they find more appealing.  I don't view this as a competition but as simply a way of expressing
our ideas rather than just writing stuff in Jira or on a Wiki.

The point is well taken that at some point we will have to make a decision. I just don't think
we are close to that yet.

Ralph

On May 31, 2010, at 5:41 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> I just digged a little bit around the code. Besides the projects
> mentioned below there is ralphs stuff. How is it planned to put it all
> together?
>

> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:
>> Moved some stuff around in the log4j2 sandbox at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL.
>>
>> I fixed the test failures in the 2007 and 2008 vintage code.  The were test utility
problems that had previously affected log4j 1.2 but were not addressed in this code.

>> I moved log4j-core (my old 2007-2008 vintage code) into the 2008 subproject.  I expect
to mine it for additional classes, but do not anticipate any additional development within
the direction.

>> The carnold subproject tries to extract some of the good parts of the 2007-2008 project.
  log4j2-api is problem misnamed, it is not intended to be what a client sees but what the
backend classes would see of an event.  Many of the classes were copied in directly from the
2007-2008 project.

>> I added a quick outline of what i think Appender, Destination (what makes a file
appender a file appender vs a socket appender), Filter and Logger.

>> log4j2-attrs are the annotation classes used in the earlier 2007-2008 stuff.  May
or may not use them or may use more widespread annotations, but wanted to have a place for
them when I start mining some of the implementation classes out.