logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A new thread for log4j 2.0 discussion (Was Re: svn commit: r943816 [1/9] - in /logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers: ./ log4j12-api/ log4j12-api/src/ log4j12-api/src/main/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/apache/ log4j12-api/sr...)
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 04:30:05 GMT

On May 23, 2010, at 2:27 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> [...]
object to be logged to be delayed as much as possible (somewhat helped with the {}-construct
in slf4j).  This might be doable with a specific log interface.

>>> That is exactly what Message does.
>>>

>> My thoughts, but not sure how much of this got into my earlier code, was to have
a distinct extraction phase that occur synchronously with the logging call that would extract
all info needed for a completion phase that could occur either immediately or be deferred.
 The extraction phase would need to extract any info from the call into immutable objects
so state change, for example mutable message parameters, before the completion stage would
not change the resulting log.

> There is no point in doing this in simple use cases such as using the FileAppender to
write to a log file.

Usually not the simple cases that dictate the design.

>> A example where this would be useful is logging floating point numbers.  It can be
surprisingly expensive to format floating point numbers, so it is highly beneficial to extract
all the pieces needed for the formatting into an immutable package during the synchronous
extraction phase and then do the formatting in the asynchronous completion phase.

> This assumes there is an asynchronous phase. In my audit logging use cases I do not want
asynchronous logging because I want any exceptions that occur to be thrown back to the caller.
 An awful lot of logs just write Strings and simple values. While we should support use cases
like what you are suggesting I think it would be unwise to optimize for them at the expense
of typical usage.

If the framework allows for clear separation between required to be synchronous and allowed
to be asynchronous, then doing everything synchronous is easy as immediately invoking run()
on the returned Runnable.  Might come with a performance cost when running purely synchronous,
but without some experimentation can't quantity if it is significant.

>> The AsynchronousAppender in log4j requires trying to freeze LoggingEvent which is
still subject to message objects changing underneath it.  Also it generally perform unnecessary
actions in freezing everything in the LoggingEvent even though much of it will not be used.

>> The framework should be designed to separate the parts required to be synchronous
(that is anything dealing with external objects) from the parts that can be deferred.

> I don't think I really agree with this, at least the way you are expressing it. Typically,
the "parts required to be synchronous" are also the ones that are expensive to resolve. What
you are suggesting is that somehow it is easier to deal with a LogEvent that has a reference
to another object that contains the references to the "synchronous objects" than to just copy
the whole LogEvent. But copying simple object references like Strings doesn't cost all that
much and may not even be worth doing if the appender needs some sort of serialized version
of the LogEvent instead (SyslogAppender using either the serialized logging event or the IETFSyslogLayout
that I haven't added yet).

The summary in the second sentence feels the antithesis of what I'm suggesting.

Copying the "whole log event" so that the copy is not affected by any potential changes is
complicated, expensive and error-prone as seen in log4j's AsyncAppender.  The message parameter
or any value in the MDC or NDC in the log4j API can be any arbitrary object.  If it is immutable,
then you are fine.  If not and the object is serializable or clonable, you could clonable.
 Otherwise, you are subject to changes that could occur after the logging call.

Restricting message, MDC and NDC parameters to strings is not desirable.  log4j allows it
and there are reasonable and worthwhile reasons to use them.

AsyncAppender does a not totally satisfactory clone of a LoggingEvent and then runs the nested
appender later on that clone, none of the nested appenders code runs during the synchronous
phase.  The alternative I'm suggesting is to allow appenders to see the LoggingEvent in the
extraction phase, get all the information that it needs (or possibly do the whole action)
and then leave a Runnable to complete the action.  If fully synchronous, the runnable would
be immediately executed, if not, then sent to a queue for later execution.

> In looking at Log4jLogEvent really the only fields that deal with external objects are
the Message and the Throwable.  I suppose a Throwable could be a problem if the caller has
created their own exception type and added odd stuff to it (complex object references), although
I can't say I've ever run across an Exception that does that.  The Message can be solved by
a) doing new SimpleMessage(message.getFormattedMessage()), b) serializing the message and
deserializing it, or c) adding another method to the Message interface like "prepareForAsynch".

"prepareForAsynch" has the same problem as serializing the logging event.  There is no bulletproof
way to make an invariant copy of every arbitrary objects and some may be extraordinary expensive.
 It seems to me to be much clearer to have a phase where you have access to the LoggingEvent
interface in the scope of the logging call, but anything deferred must act on what was extracted
from that call.  At the simplest, it could be to run the layout in the extraction phase and
hold the string for the completion phase.

If I have an "itch" for log4j 2.0, this is it.  I'm not sure where the path would lead, but
it is the path that I want to explore.