logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 sandbox
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 16:21:51 GMT
From that description our approaches have indeed been complimentary.  I saw problems in the
fundamental core of Log4j and SLF4J/Logback that are in the API, configuration and filtering.
 I've always considered the Appender and Layout concepts to be more or less OK, except how
they were infringed upon by the core (i.e. callAppenders is synchronized).  The only significant
impact my changes have made to those areas was to make the converters pluggable - PatternLayout
does not need to be modified to add new ones.  The work done on EnhancedPatternLayout was
essential to be able to do that.

I believe we both have agreement that the API should be separate from the implementation.
I'm not sure we completely agree on what it should look like.  To be honest, I'm still not
completely happy with it as I'd like to see an annotation/AOP way of injecting logging wherever
possible.

If there is a plan it is for Curt and me to continue working on our forks while reviewing
each others code. Hopefully he will borrow from my code base and I from his.  I'm also hoping
others will join in and contribute.

Ralph

On May 31, 2010, at 8:33 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> On May 31, 2010, at 7:41 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>> I just digged a little bit around the code. Besides the projects
>> mentioned below there is ralphs stuff. How is it planned to put it all
>> together?
>>

> You think we have a plan?
>
> Ralph and I are going in two different, but hopefully eventually complementary directions.
>
> My tack was to start with the backend classes like layouts and appenders and provide
a framework which makes them independent of the logging API in use and designed for concurrency.
 I started in 2007 and 2008 with the pattern layout.  That went dormant due to other demands
and lack of participation.  There were a lot of ideas that I liked that were either in the
code or in the code that I was going to write next and I've been trying to mine the old project
and fill in gaps that had been rattling around in my mind to hopefully come up with something
reasonably fleshed out.

> The approach with commons-logging and SLF4J was to unify on the API.  I was taking the
approach of enabling unification at the back end, basically, have appenders that can process
logging events originating from multiple API's.

> Once the back end classes were established, they could be plugged into the existing frameworks
for testing and we could work on establishing a client facing API designed with the same principles.