logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject log4j2 sandbox
Date Sun, 30 May 2010 03:23:51 GMT
Moved some stuff around in the log4j2 sandbox at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL.

I fixed the test failures in the 2007 and 2008 vintage code.  The were test utility problems
that had previously affected log4j 1.2 but were not addressed in this code.

I moved log4j-core (my old 2007-2008 vintage code) into the 2008 subproject.  I expect to
mine it for additional classes, but do not anticipate any additional development within the

The carnold subproject tries to extract some of the good parts of the 2007-2008 project.
 log4j2-api is problem misnamed, it is not intended to be what a client sees but what the
backend classes would see of an event.  Many of the classes were copied in directly from the
2007-2008 project.
I added a quick outline of what i think Appender, Destination (what makes a file appender
a file appender vs a socket appender), Filter and Logger.

log4j2-attrs are the annotation classes used in the earlier 2007-2008 stuff.  May or may not
use them or may use more widespread annotations, but wanted to have a place for them when
I start mining some of the implementation classes out.

Feel free to comment either inline in the code (ideally with @doubt, @issue or @compare),
or on the mailing list.

Will likely add an UnrecoverableLoggingException to indicate that an destination is permanently