logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject log4j2 sandbox
Date Sun, 30 May 2010 03:23:51 GMT
Moved some stuff around in the log4j2 sandbox at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL.

I fixed the test failures in the 2007 and 2008 vintage code.  The were test utility problems
that had previously affected log4j 1.2 but were not addressed in this code.

I moved log4j-core (my old 2007-2008 vintage code) into the 2008 subproject.  I expect to
mine it for additional classes, but do not anticipate any additional development within the
direction.

The carnold subproject tries to extract some of the good parts of the 2007-2008 project.
 log4j2-api is problem misnamed, it is not intended to be what a client sees but what the
backend classes would see of an event.  Many of the classes were copied in directly from the
2007-2008 project.

I added a quick outline of what i think Appender, Destination (what makes a file appender
a file appender vs a socket appender), Filter and Logger.

log4j2-attrs are the annotation classes used in the earlier 2007-2008 stuff.  May or may not
use them or may use more widespread annotations, but wanted to have a place for them when
I start mining some of the implementation classes out.

Feel free to comment either inline in the code (ideally with @doubt, @issue or @compare),
or on the mailing list.

Will likely add an UnrecoverableLoggingException to indicate that an destination is permanently
down.