logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j2 sandbox
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 12:41:21 GMT
I just digged a little bit around the code. Besides the projects
mentioned below there is ralphs stuff. How is it planned to put it all
together?

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:
> Moved some stuff around in the log4j2 sandbox at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL.
>
> I fixed the test failures in the 2007 and 2008 vintage code.  The were test utility
problems that had previously affected log4j 1.2 but were not addressed in this code.

> I moved log4j-core (my old 2007-2008 vintage code) into the 2008 subproject.  I expect
to mine it for additional classes, but do not anticipate any additional development within
the direction.

> The carnold subproject tries to extract some of the good parts of the 2007-2008 project.
  log4j2-api is problem misnamed, it is not intended to be what a client sees but what the
backend classes would see of an event.  Many of the classes were copied in directly from
the 2007-2008 project.

> I added a quick outline of what i think Appender, Destination (what makes a file appender
a file appender vs a socket appender), Filter and Logger.

> log4j2-attrs are the annotation classes used in the earlier 2007-2008 stuff.  May or
may not use them or may use more widespread annotations, but wanted to have a place for them
when I start mining some of the implementation classes out.