logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4j2 sandbox
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 15:33:38 GMT

On May 31, 2010, at 7:41 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> I just digged a little bit around the code. Besides the projects
> mentioned below there is ralphs stuff. How is it planned to put it all
> together?

You think we have a plan?

Ralph and I are going in two different, but hopefully eventually complementary directions.

My tack was to start with the backend classes like layouts and appenders and provide a framework
which makes them independent of the logging API in use and designed for concurrency.  I started
in 2007 and 2008 with the pattern layout.  That went dormant due to other demands and lack
of participation.  There were a lot of ideas that I liked that were either in the code or
in the code that I was going to write next and I've been trying to mine the old project and
fill in gaps that had been rattling around in my mind to hopefully come up with something
reasonably fleshed out.

The approach with commons-logging and SLF4J was to unify on the API.  I was taking the approach
of enabling unification at the back end, basically, have appenders that can process logging
events originating from multiple API's.

Once the back end classes were established, they could be plugged into the existing frameworks
for testing and we could work on establishing a client facing API designed with the same principles.

Ralph's approach has been broader, trying to design the whole framework simultaneously.