logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <nospam0...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future development of Log4J?
Date Sun, 30 May 2010 15:01:28 GMT
Den 12/12/09 02.02, Christian Grobmeier skrev:
> SLF4J - sorry I don't know much about it. But from its website, its
> again a QOS project and it seems to be a wrapper around various
> logging APIs. Besides that I never had a benefit from encapsulating a
> logging framework (I never switched from JDK logging to Log4J or vice
> versa while developing a project) I wonder why you are referring to
> this. Maybe I didn't get the point, but why can't we just refactor
> Log4J and clean it up and include this locking issue and Java5
> features you mentioned?
Just commenting on an old thread:

Each logging framework has advantages and disadvantages, and by using
slf4j you can postpone the decision which one to use to deployment
time.   This is a good thing if you write code which is reused over
several projects, or if you have heterogeneous platforms for deployments.

It gives you an extra degree of flexibility which is nice to have.

   Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"