logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <nospam0...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A new thread for log4j 2.0 discussion (Was Re: svn commit: r943816 [1/9] - in /logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers: ./ log4j12-api/ log4j12-api/src/ log4j12-api/src/main/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/apache/ log4j12-api/sr...)
Date Sat, 22 May 2010 07:46:59 GMT
Den 22/05/10 04.44, Curt Arnold skrev:

>> 1. I first created an API that had the features I was looking for. That is in log4j2-api.
While it supports logging a String or an Object it really uses a Message interface which is
valuable as it allows users to log self-describing objects in a convenient manner.

> My thinking was the message interface would end up so minimal that might as well just
use Object.

Would it be feasible to use Object so any object can be logged, but
support one or more interfaces that allow a given object to provide more
information to the logger framework?

Also, I have had an issue where the I wanted the toString() method on
the object to be logged to be delayed as much as possible (somewhat
helped with the {}-construct in slf4j).  This might be doable with a
specific log interface.

--
   Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"