logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r943816 [1/9] - in /logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers: ./ log4j12-api/ log4j12-api/src/ log4j12-api/src/main/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/apache/ log4j12-
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 14:11:17 GMT

On May 17, 2010, at 6:42 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> On May 17, 2010, at 3:24 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As suggested by Sander Temme [1], how about using "svn propset
>> --revprop -r 943816 svn:log '...'" to update the commit message of
>> this revision? Having Ralph's extended summary included in the svn
>> history would be much better than just the current "First version"
>> message.
>>
>> [1] http://jukkaz.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/commit-early-commit-often/#comment-9667
>>
>> BR,
>>
>> Jukka Zitting
>
> Good idea, there is nothing as fun as trying to track down an issue and you run into
a monolithic commit of code many years ago with no history behind it.

I believe there might be a maximum length on a commit message but I'm not sure.

> I haven't dug into it, but I think the submission may require IP clearance through the
incubator (http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html).  The sentence would appear
to apply:

>> Any code that was developed outside of the ASF SVN repository and our public mailing
lists must be processed like this, even if the external developer is already an ASF committer.

And the paragraph above that says "From time to time, an external codebase is brought into
the ASF that is not a separate incubating project but still represents a substantial contribution
that was not developed within the ASF's source control system and on our public mailing lists."

All code developed at the ASF is developed off-list and then committed so by the logic of
using only the message you quoted almost all code would have to go through the incubator unless
the code was sent to the mailing list first. Obviously, that makes no sense. Taking that one
sentence by itself would imply that when a new Appender is written and committed to Jira that
it would need to go through the incubator as well.

I've looked at the template. It is appears to be for code that "lived" outside of the ASF
for some time, either as a separate project or was somehow visible to other people before
being contributed.  The code in question is not an "external codebase" because it was developed
solely for the purpose of being committed to Log4j for experimentation and discussion.  Whether
it makes it into something that is ever released is for the community to determine.

Ralph