logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r948664 - in /logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers/log4j2-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core: ./ appender/ filter/
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 13:49:59 GMT

On May 27, 2010, at 5:55 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I know you mentioned getting git set up.

Raised it with infrastructure at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2743, part of
the response was:

> To create and checkout a local "log4j2" branch that tracks the remote "BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL"
branch, use "git checkout -b log4j2 origin/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL".

It looks like it is missing something, but might point someone who is more git knowledgeable
to a working approach.

> One thing that would help here is instead of simply adding comments (which I don't mind),
for you to fork the code and make some of the changes you are suggesting or simply have ideas
about. Trying out your own ideas might a) either clear up your questions, b) provide an alternative
that is better or c) just give us two options instead of one.

I'm going to have to check how far I got in the code that I committed vs how far I had thought
in my mind.  Most likely, I'd try to continue building on my earlier code and try to reach
a point where appenders built on its interfaces could be wired into existing log4j as a test
harness and maybe flesh out some of my thoughts on the API.

> Ideally, you and I shouldn't be the only two involved in this. Anyone else participating
on this list should definitely join in.

> Ralph

Two is an improvement over one.   If we can get a things a little clearer, we could try to
reach out of other ASF projects that use logging to document their pain points, wishes, requirements,
random thoughts and maybe gain some additional voices if not contributors.