logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r948664 - in /logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers/log4j2-core/src/main/java/org/apache/logging/log4j/core: ./ appender/ filter/
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 06:02:57 GMT

On May 26, 2010, at 11:01 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I'm not sure what the appropriate way to respond to all the comments is going to be.
Some of them I agree with and will make changes when I get the chance. Many of them just need
an explanation or I disagree with the comment - not sure what to do about those. For example,
in Logger -

> @doubt All the isEnabled methods could be pushed into a filter interface.  Not sure of
the utility of having isEnabled
> *  be able to examine the message pattern and parameters.
>
> 1. The Filter interface doesn't return a boolean but ACCEPT, DENY or NEUTRAL where isEnabled
is true or false. Filters operate in a chained fashion until either ACCEPT or DENY is returned,
so adding isEnabled to that interface doesn't make sense.
> 2. The value of having the the message and parameters is for performance. Creating the
LogEvent isn't cheap. So it is essential to have global filters operate on the parameters
directly. Of course, all the variations could be paired down but that would require user's
to enter a null parameter where it isn't needed. I prefer to make the interface easier for
the user, not the implementor.

> How should I add this to the @doubt?

I'm playing by ear, but if there was @doubt that warranted a discussion, then I'd file a JIRA
issue, replace the @doubt with a @issue with the JIRA issue and move the discussion to the
JIRA issue.

"a filter interface" didn't specifically mean the current Filter, just a whole lot of methods
on Logger are related to deciding whether a whether a logging request would be processed and
those conceptually could be isolated into one interface.