logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r943816 [1/9] - in /logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers: ./ log4j12-api/ log4j12-api/src/ log4j12-api/src/main/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/ log4j12-api/src/main/java/org/apache/ log4j12-api/sr...
Date Sat, 15 May 2010 01:41:43 GMT
See below.

On May 14, 2010, at 7:07 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> Could you review the "bugs" in the log4j2 JIRA and give a quick comments about your submission
and the bug.

Sure. I'll try to do this asap but my time to work on Log4j isn't very consistent.

> If there are any significant design decisions or requirements that came out from this
work, could you file them as new bugs.

Be happy to.
> Did you use or consider the earlier pattern layout stuff I did in the sandbox?

As I mentioned in my earlier email, I used the EnhancedPatternLayout that is in the experimental
branch as a starting point. I changed the name back to PatternLayout and made that a plugin
and made all the converters plugins. I also modified a couple of the converters where it was

> Do you have or want to suggest a code name for this submission?  I wanted to avoid ever
calling my earlier stuff "log4j2" while it was still highly experimental.

I'm not sure why that is a problem. It isn't like anyone is going to confuse this for a releasable
code base being in a branch named "EXPERIMENTAL" and in a subdirectory named ralph. If it
does get pulled up to a real dev branch then we won't have to go through the busy work of
package renaming.  Referencing it in emails as "Ralph's Log4j2" vs "Curt's Log4j2" should
be enough to avoid any confusion. And hopefully, the experimentation phase won't last too
long before creating a common code base (although I'd still expect people to fork that while
they try new things - this is one of the areas where using github would really help).