logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Deboy <scott.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j-dev@logging.apache.org
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:29:24 GMT
The easiest way to get going is to define an xml configuration file that
contains the LogFilePatternReceiver configuration, and specify the URL to
that file as the auto config URL in Chainsaw's application-wide preferences
panel.

You can see an example xml configuration file from inside Chainsaw - go to
the Welcome tab and click the 'view example receiver configuration' button.
Copy this example configuration (ctrl-a, ctrl-c should work), remove all of
the 'plugin' nodes except LogFilePatternReceiver, and modify the parameters
to match what you need.

Then, specify the -URL- to this file in the automatic configuration URL
field (view/show application-wide preferences) and restart Chainsaw.

The 'logFormat' param uses the fields described in the receiver JavaDoc.
The 'filterExpression' param (this param isn't defined in the example but
you can add it if you need to) uses the expression syntax built into
Chainsaw (go to help/tutorial for a description of this syntax).

Hope that helps.

Scott