logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "S.Kannan" <techy_k...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Logging done in the wrong files
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:54:10 GMT

Hi All, A log4j newbie handling a bigger task .. This is my problem
Hope somebody has got some solution for this.

We have a web application as well as a java application. Both are big enough
. But since both are managing the same business around 3 to 4 ear files are
used in common for both the applications. Since we wanted to classify the
loggers based on the application we have decided to have unique
log.properties file. The following are the configurations in the
log.properties file

for web application
log4j.threshold=ALL
log4j.rootLogger=ALL,INFO_APPENDER,ERROR_APPENDER,DEBUG_APPENDER
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.MaxBackupIndex=50
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.file=data/tda/logs/Logger_Debug_Web.txt
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.Threshold=DEBUG

for java application
log4j.threshold=ALL
log4j.rootLogger=ALL,INFO_APPENDER,ERROR_APPENDER,DEBUG_APPENDER
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.MaxBackupIndex=50
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.file=data/tda/logs/Logger_Debug_Java.txt
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.DEBUG_APPENDER.Threshold=DEBUG

The following is the customized log manager class which we have written
public class LogManager {
	String className;
	Logger objLog;

	static {
		InputStream logprops = LogManager.class.getClassLoader()
				.getResourceAsStream("path/to/log.properties");
		try {
			Properties prop = new Properties();
			prop.load(logProps);
			PropertyConfigurator.configure(prop);
		} catch (Exception e) {
			System.out.println("error in  LogManager" + e.getMessage());
		}
	}

	public LogManager(String className) {
		this.className = className;
		objLog = Logger.getLogger(this.className);
	}

	public void logMessage(String strLevel, String Message) {
		if (strLevel.equals("DEBUG")) {
			objLog.log(Level.DEBUG, Message);
		} else if (strLevel.equals("INFO")) {
			objLog.log(Level.INFO, Message);
		} else if (strLevel.equals("WARN")) {
			objLog.log(Level.WARN, Message);
		} else if (strLevel.equals("ERROR")) {
			objLog.log(Level.ERROR, Message);
		}
	}
}

And in each class files we have called the logmanager like

private static final LogManager logMgr = new
LogManager(QueueListener.class.getName());
logMgr.logMessage("INFO","QueueListening starts.");

Now our problem is that most of the times the messages in the
Logger_Debug_Java.txt is routed to Logger_Debug_Web.txt once a class which
is common for both application executes. Then the thread or control does not
this problem

Kannan.S