logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Marking org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender and DRFA as deprecated?
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:25:08 GMT

On Aug 7, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> Is it possible to use the new implementation and provide the same
> extension points that the old implementation provided?
>
> Scott

I don't think so, so much of the internals of RFA and DRFA were
exposed that you can't change much without potentially breaking someone.

Any appender that relies on renaming is going to trouble-prone and
java.io doesn't provide any way to handle writes from multiple JVM's
(which is the one of the major source of issues with all of the
RFA's).  To have a really robust appender that writes across files, I
think something like MFA but rewritten to be based on java.nio would
be needed.  We could push it into log4j 1.x when it is ready as an
alternative to RFA and DRFA.  It would require JDK 1.4 to run, but I
don't think it would prevent the rest of log4j to run on JDK 1.3.

The base would be a ChannelAppender that would be the basis of
java.nio based appenders like WriterAppender is for java.io appenders.