logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Guilherme Costa" <gccost...@gmail.com>
Subject SocketAppender
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:06:17 GMT
Hi all,
There are any plans to have a buffer or queue to send messages to the
server?!
Today we have an old-homemade logging system, but I'm pushing the group to
use log4j, but they said we cannot go 100% into it if there are ways of
loosing messages.

I made some tests and SocketAppender will lose all messages while not
connected. I made a test implementing a queue (ArrayList<LoggingEvent>) and
it worked. But there are no handshaking with ServerSocket, so if the
SocketServer drops in the middle of a queue sending, some messages will be
lost.

I've implemented (Copy and Paste) handshacking between the SocketNode and my
QueueSocketAppender and it worked just fine. But using this, i will start
going off the log4j target of having a world common logging system!

Any toughts?!

Thanks anyway,
Gui