logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Chad LaVigne <chad_lavi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Burst filter
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 01:59:14 GMT
A long while back I submitted a code contribution to be considered for log4j 1.2.  It's a
filter to regulate logging traffic bursts.  It's useful for situations where you may want
to limit the number of logging messages that are sent to an appender, i.e. when the database
goes down you don't want 2 million e-mail logs taking out the mail server.  I received a
response requesting I change the name to something like BurstFilter, a good suggestion indeed.
Sadly it's taken me a year to get around to this but I finally have.  It looks like no further
development is planned for 1.2 except for bug fixes and minor enhancements.  Is this feature
small enough to be considered a minor enhancement or should I submit the filter for 2.0?

Thanks,
Chad