Hi Manish,

The LogFileScavenger class is coded to delete all older files, regardless of extension, that share the root (or base) name.  I suppose you could say that it's quite ruthless!

Simon

----- Original Message ----
From: Manish Marathe <python.ruby@gmail.com>
To: Log4J Developers List <log4j-dev@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, 24 January, 2008 6:45:18 PM
Subject: Re: DailyRollingFileAppender.java enhancement

On Jan 22, 2008 11:51 PM, Simon Park <simon_park_mail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hi Manish,

I contributed some code a few months ago that might fit the bill.  It's an appender that behaves similarly to the DailyRollingFileAppender, yet it also deletes older files.  You can configure the number of files you wish to keep.  A daemon thread periodically scans the files based upon the "root" of the filename, i.e. it's independent of the pattern.  Code available at http://www.simonsite.org.uk/resources/lib/log4j-rolling-appender.jar and Javadoc at http://www.simonsite.org.uk/javadoc/org/apache/log4j/appender/TimeAndSizeRollingAppender.html .  This code has been running in production on an SMP platform for just under a year, without incident

Simon,

That looks cool. Although I didn't go through great detail but just a question. Suppose the "root" name of my log file is " net.log". I initially use a date pattern yyyy-MM-dd for some time, giving no.of files to keep say 10. On the 11th night, just before midnight, I change the pattern to yyyy-ww and restart tomcat/my-app. Now I have 10 rolled-over log files with date pattern yyyy-MM-dd, since no.of files to keep is 10 no files will be deleted. On the 12th night, does TimeAndSizeRollingAppender deletes the oldest log file which had pattern yyyy-MM-dd or will it not consider those rolled over log files to delete at all because they are not in accordance with the pattern set in the configuration file?

If TimeAndSizeRollingAppender is just looking for root file name, in my case "net.log", will it also delete older rolled-over log files with older pattern?

-Manish