logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Steps for making a code contribution?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:13:47 GMT

On Nov 7, 2007, at 10:22 PM, Will Sargent wrote:

> Curt Arnold wrote:
>> I did take a scan of the code, it does appear to conform to ASF
>> source header policy (http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html).
>>
>> It also stated that it was based on log4j 1.3.  log4j 1.3
>> development has been abandoned.  I assume that it could be
>> modified to work with log4j 1.2, but maybe you already have some
>> thoughts on that.  If it were to be accepted into the LS project,
>> any release would need to target log4j 1.2.
>>
>> I'd suggest talking through these issues before posting the code
>> to Bugzilla.
> I tweaked the ConfiguratorFactory so it will instantiate
> Configurator objects based on their class.  Should be much more
> maintainable.  Also wrote some more unit tests, and made sure
> everything's working in log4j/trunk.
>
> I'm a bit confused about how the input, input/xml and resources
> work in the test directory.  How does this all work?  Any
> documentation I can look at?
>
> Will.

New code is following the Maven Standard Directory Layout (http://
maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-
directory-layout.html).   Basically everything that is in src/test/
resources is available through a getResource() or similar call.

The log4j built predates that and uses a different directory
structure.  I think it is very unlikely that it would go directly
into log4j itself.  Probably the most reasonable course of action is
to check out the extras companion and work the classes into that
build environment.  It would be fairly simple to remove all the rest
of the stuff from extras to make just a layered configurator
companion if that was the course of action.