logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Chainsaw harmonization, branding, etc.
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:27:56 GMT

> I used the assembly:assembly plug to create a distribution, however
> the descriptor (src/assembly/bin.xml) needs to be tweaked to drop
> out non-re-distributable jars.  Hopefully, all the non-re-
> distributable jars  are not essential to operation, at least not on
> JDK 1.5. Currently, you can do java -jar on apache-chainsaw.jar and
> the app launches.  I added the main-class and path entries to the
> chainsaw jar, wouldn't do that on a library jar but hopefully is a
> good thing for an application jar.

I've never found that main-class much use because of the external
reference to jars.  Personally I like the appassembler distribution
that maven can build, plus the Mac-specific one.

The external referenced jars are the crux of the problem with
Chainsaw.  Out-of-the-box, Chainsaw is useful for socket-based
operations and local file reading.  For JMS, DB, and VFS style
operations, the 3rd-party requirements make it a tricky distribution
problem.

Which exactly are the non-redistributable jars?  Xstream and jmdns
are the only listed dependencies in the pom, both of which are ASL
licensed.  JSch (for ssh-based stuff like vfs) used to LGPL but is
now BSD licensed, but we don't actually need to depend on that per-se
(they can go in the plugins directory).

> I will probably need to get my head around the distribution
> mechanisms.  I think we do need a classic distribution tarball that
> is farmed out to the distribution mirrors.  Keeping the WebStart is
> good, but I think it might need to be placed within and use the
> Maven repo and have the downloads page point to a nearby Maven mirror.

We might as well be consistent with a tarball distro, but I'm not
sure that's what the users would want to use.  For non-webstart
operations I actually think letting the user use Maven to build the
complete distribution including all dependencies is actually probably
the most pain-free for a user.

> Branding is another issue.  Should Chainsaw be presented as a
> separate product or as a log4j companion or some other model.  I've
> probably not been consistent in what I've set up, but here is how I
> see the options:
>
> Chainsaw as a LS product:
>
> Web content: http://logging.apache.org/chainsaw, appear as menu
> item on http://logging.apache.org
> groupId = apache-chainsaw or log4j
> artifactId = apache-chainsaw
>
> Chainsaw as a log4j companion:
>
> Web content: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/chainsaw,
> appear as menu item on http://logging.apache.org/log4j and http://
> logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2
> groupId = log4j
> artifactId = apache-log4j-chainsaw
>
> I think that LS product is better since Chainsaw should be usable
> with the other LS frameworks and is much more complicated than the
> other companions.  Also, the plugin components could be considered
> "companions" of chainsaw.

Given Chainsaw can interact with non-log4j environments as well with
XML logging, I think a standalone position is probably more appropriate.

> I don't have a problem having Chainsaw continue to use the log4j
> icon, but maybe we could create a derivative icon that suggest
> taking a slice of the log4j cup.  Don't know if we have access to
> the original drawing for the icon.

Scott and I talked about this a while back, but neither of us a gFx
artists.. :)  I had always envisaged an image that was a piece of
paper with text and a chainsaw slicing right through it.

Paul