logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject log4j 1.2.15 RC 3
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 03:27:25 GMT
I've just pushed another release candidate out.  This won't be the
last since I forgot to update the release date and another tweak to
the POM that I'd like to do.  I'll likely refresh it tomorrow, but I
thought I would leave it up overnight for any immediate feedback.
The distributions are at http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/
log4j/1.2.15 and Maven artifacts are in the staging repo at http://
people.apache.org/build/logging/repo.

The big new change is this release was built on Ubuntu Linux 6.06-1
(Dapper Drake) using Sun Java 6 (but targeting JDK 1.1) and an MinGW
cross compiler (for NTEventLogAppender.dll) instead of Windows 2000
and JDK 1.3.   Dapper Drake is a Long Term Support release of Ubuntu
and a prebuild VMWare Applicance is available and was used as a
starting point.  The instructions at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
logging/log4j/branches/v1_2-branch/BUILD-INFO.txt should allow you to
set up an identical build environment in not much longer than the
download time.  Hopefully we can use that build environment across
the components, log4j 2.0 and log4cxx.

I tested a earlier builds on JDK 1.2 and 1.3 on Windows and java-gcj
1.4.2.  JDK 1.3 passed all tests without incident.  JDK 1.2 would
report IllegalStateExceptions in the XML parser when reading
configuration files and would print diagnostic messages about
problems with the JIT, but many tests still passed.  I vaguely recall
seeing similar behavior with earlier releases, so it may not be a
regression from earlier versions of log4j.  java-gcj would fail one
test in DRFATest where the rollover time was wrong on October 27 or
28th and only on that date.  I attempted to debug on java-gcj with
Eclipse, but wasn't able to get it to stop on breakpoints (perhaps a
bundled log4j was interfering).  I don't think that is a regression
either, perhaps a run-time library bug.  I have not tested JRockit
with this release, but earlier (non Ubuntu) builds passed all tests.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the build environment setup and any
success in reproducing the build.  There are some unavoidable
differences between builds, Javadoc puts timestamps in HTML comments
and jar files also contain timestamps.  Something like the following
can be used to compare a test and a reference release:

mkdir test
cd test
tar -xvzf ~/log4j/target/log4j-1.2.15.tar.gz
cd apache-log4j-1.2.15
jar xf log4j-1.2.15.jar
hexdump NTEventLogAppender.dll > NTEventLogAppender.hex
cd ../..
mkdir reference
cd reference
tar -xvzf ~/downloads/apache-log4j-1.2.15_rc3.tar.gz
cd apache-log4j-1.2.15
jar xf log4j-1.2.15.jar
hexdump NTEventLogAppender.dll > NTEventLogAppender.hex
cd ../..
diff -r reference test

Hopefully all .class files are identical, HTML only varies by
timestamps in comments and perhaps a few bytes in the dump of the
NTEventLogAppender.