logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chainsaw & log4j 1.2 status
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:40:33 GMT

On Apr 21, 2007, at 12:46 AM, Paul Smith wrote:

> Slippery slope here, Chainsaw is now starting up with no errors
> using log4j1.2, but when I try to load a configuration file I've
> been using ok prior, I get this output, and nothing appears to
> happen (see below).
>
> Obviously the DOMConfigurator in 1.2 knows nothing about plugins.

Yep and it can't be added to log4j 1.2 itself.  Could add an derived
class (org.apache.log4j.plugins.PluginConfigurator ?) in the
components that supports it by overriding DOMConfigurator. parse
(Element).  Could add a corresponding class in log4j  1.3 that is
derived from its DOMConfigurator with no changed behavior so you
don't have to #ifdef your code (if you could do that).  Do you only
need XML configuration or do you use a property file configuration also?

> I wonder if we're going to constantly run into these sorts of
> problems.

Perhaps.

> Are we pushing the proverbial up hill here?  Should we leave
> Chainsaw reliance on 1.3, and move on to working on 2.0?

I hope that we have established that Chainsaw on log4j 1.2.x is
achievable.  If I drop in a LoggerRepositoryExImpl into log4j 1.3,
hopefully you have one code base that will build and run against both
SVN head and log4j 1.2.x+companions.  I'd like to get to the point
where you can commit the Chainsaw modifications that allow either
build option so we can pick it up whenever something motivates a
release.

I'd expect that we'd have a release push for log4j 1.2.x. and the
companions when the PatternLayout backport looks reasonable.  I cut a
log4j 1.2.15 release candidate at the end of February (died for lack
of quorum on the release vote) and people had been asking about it
since December.